[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security (slides and training)

Leinweber, James jim.leinweber at slh.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 10 00:37:04 CET 2011

Geoff Huston:
> ... The measurements I have been undertaking point to a relatively
>  flat line of IPv6 adoption that encompasses around 0.3% ...

At the University of Wisconsin-Madison we have a whopping 0.6% IPv6,
relatively flat.  It is double the 0.3% we were seeing prior to World
IPv6 day,
because additional departments made an effort to dual-stack their main
client subnets.  This is based on eyeballing the MRTG graphs of total
border
traffic versus IPv6-only border traffic at stats.net.wisc.edu; typical
peak
v6 traffic is about 25 Mbit/s, typical peak v4 traffic is about 4
Gbit/s.

Cisco's "IPv6 Deployment and Operation Experiences" webcast on
9/7/2011 stated that at Interop 2011 where the conference web site
and the wifi were both dual-stacked, they saw about 2% IPv6 traffic
to the general internet, and about 60% IPv6 traffic to the conference
web site.  Their Cisco Live results were similar.  So this summer's high
water mark for IT-heavy crowds suggests that with the current client
mix 60% of the traffic *wants* to be IPv6.  It's just not getting native
uplink and native destinations to do it with yet.

-- Jim "2013 will be the year of the IPocalypse" Leinweber
State Laboratory of Hygiene, University of Wisconsin - Madison
<jim.leinweber at slh.wisc.edu>       phone +1 608 221 6281
PGP fp: D573 AF7D F484 EE2A F0B6  B7DB A870 7518 F87D A0D1