[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security (slides and training)

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Sun Nov 13 05:50:48 CET 2011

Doug,

On 11/11/2011 09:05 PM, Douglas Otis wrote:
> Anyone trusting local-networks not protected by some form of
> certification and cryptography are also likely compromised even though
> their status lights all show green.  Once properly secured, which should
> happen anyway, IPv6 offers many advantages over IPv4.

Being a *technical* mailing-list, it would be great if these claims were
backed by a corresponding list of advantages, and their rationale.

> The paradigm that
> networks can be secure by being hard on the outside and soft and chewy
> in the middle should by now be considered the real myth.

The paradigm won't change because of IPv6. If it changes, the change
will have *nothing* to do with IPv6.

For instance, we're basically trying to "port" IPv4 network
architectures to IPv6. Home routers specified by the IETF being one
example, and tools (such as NDPmon) that implement in v6 what we alrady
do in v4 (e.g., arpwatch) as simple examples.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks