[ipv6hackers] my IPv6 insecurity slides

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:53:53 CET 2011

I agree with you Fernando, but again, I believe that regardless the
venue one must be careful in what one recommends.

Even in the most technical of venues, there are people who might not be
familiar with IPv6 (or topic X if you want :-) ). And taking your
example, right now if you ask me I am rather more scared from PDFs or
rogue ActiveX objects than I am of IPv6-borne attacks.

cheers!

Carlos

On 11/24/11 3:50 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 11/24/2011 11:35 AM, Carlos M. Martinez wrote:
>> If we as practitioners communicate the idea that there is something
>> called IPv6 which seems to be really, really insecure, then the public
>> will still not know what it is, but they sure will reject it. This is a
>> case where possitive PR can help very little but negative PR can hurt a lot.
> *Without* endorsing Marc's take on the subject, I personally think that
> this depends a great deal on the venue where this stuff is being presented.
>
> If this sort of stuff is presented in, say, a general communications
> tradeshow, I think one needs to be careful about how things are
> presented, because the effect might be the one that you're mentioning.
>
> However, if this stuff is presented in a security conference, then
> things are different: people attend those events to talk about
> vulnerabilities and countermeasures, and everyone is used to that. For
> instance, in quite a few events I've attended there have been
> presentations about security issues in the PDF format (and t-shirts with
> things such as "PDF: Penetration Document Format"), and I've not stopped
> using PDF for my files...
>
> Thanks,

Carlos M. Martinez
LACNIC