[ipv6hackers] Help wanted: Nmap IPv6 OS Detection

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Tue Sep 27 21:59:59 CEST 2011

Joe,

Rather than 'scanning', I should have written: 'doing reconnaissance on a local IPv6 network by sending ping6 ff02::1' (which BTW OS should not reply to but they do...).

The 'comic' of the situation is that nmap is used more often by CISOs than by attackers of course... CISOs need to have an inventory (cfr discussion SLAAC & DHCP)

As a side note: a rogue-RA MITM also allows for reconnaissance but this is obviously trivial... Even more trivial is MAC spoofing of the router MAC (assuming no 'port security' to speak Cisco-ese)

-éric