[ipv6hackers] SEND implementation Patent

Ahmad Sadeh ahmad.sadeh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:06:50 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Fernando Gont <fgont at si6networks.com>wrote:

> On 03/13/2012 05:15 AM, Ahmad Sadeh wrote:
> > RFC 3972: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3972 is proposed by T. Aura,
> > Microsoft Research and one of authors for
> >
> > RFC 3971 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3971 (B. Zill ) from Microsoft.
> >
> > But, why Microsoft does not implement SEND? as we can find
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726956.aspx
> Because with other unsecured pieces, such as the DNS, SEND does not
> really make sense?

SEND secures NDP messages. If it is not possible to secure the other
pieces, such as DNS with SEND, I think, it is more reasonable to find other
approaches to secure these "unsecure pieces" rather than leave the whole
"pieces" unsecure. Is it right?

> Also, because many other systems do not implement it, either, so it
> doesn't pay much to be the first to do so?

The "Standards Track" does not mean that it must be supported by the
systems that support IPv6? So why many systems do not implement SEND?

> Thanks,
> --
> Fernando Gont
> SI6 Networks
> e-mail: fgont at si6networks.com
> PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492
Ahmad Alsadeh