[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

S.P.Zeidler spz at serpens.de
Wed Mar 21 21:25:28 CET 2012

Thus wrote Owen DeLong (owend at he.net):

> Not true.

Let me put this in context (you seem to be missing it).

Answering mail from a German, who had described the practise
of German Telekom (offering a "change my prefix button") and
saying that that wouldn't help privacy much without PE, you wrote:

> >> I'm not sure how PE helps to resolve this at the prefix level.

I answered:
> > [...] if your goal is privacy, all change-my-prefix
> > actions are pointless is you are using a fixed, worldwide-unique local
> > part through all prefix changes.

[...]

so yes, both the mail you replied to as well as my reply were about German
usage. Not "in all the world, you must now change your prefixes about as
often as your underwear for privacy reasons", but "if you are a German
user who is in love with having a non-stable IP address, mind to have PE
activated because a changing prefix alone will buy you exactly nothing".

Good?

Sure must be a culture shock to not have the implied environment be the US
but some other country for a change ;-P

regards,
	spz
--