[ipv6hackers] Host tracking in IPv6 (SI6 IPv6 toolkit v1.3.3)

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Tue Mar 12 04:31:39 CET 2013

Hi, Matej,

On 03/11/2013 11:57 AM, Matej Gregr wrote:

>  thanks for the new version. Just two questions.
>
> Will you also provide the file with known iids? It's not included in
> the tarball.

Well, this is a tricky one. :-) I must admit that I have been tempted t
start collecting interface-ids, and including the corresponding file in
the tarball. However, I bet the "owners" of those IIDs would not be a
lot happy, probably. :-)

FWIW, the KNOWN_IIDS file support the format:
IPv6_address   # Comment i.e., "this address belongs to xxx"

So that you have the additional information of *who* that address
belongs to - which is certainly useful and interesting -- but I bet for
many (if not most) folks I know from conferences, that wouldn't be taken
as polite or politically correct. :-)

> How does known-iids help you with the tracking of systems with privacy
> extensions?

Privacy addresses don't help you at all, since they are generated *in
addition* to the other addresses. SO, when you want to track a node, you
simply forget about the privacy addresses, and always poll/probe the
"stable" one.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont