[ipv6hackers] Nmap patch for TCP Idle Scan in IPv6

Mathias Morbitzer m.morbitzer at runbox.com
Mon Oct 28 15:55:07 CET 2013

Hi Folks,

Finally, i managed to send you the update on my work. As reminder, I did my masters thesis on porting the TCP Idle Scan from IPv4 to IPv6.

For the motivated reader, my masterthesis, which covers all kinds of details as well as similar scanning methods which are not related to IPv6, can be found here: http://www.ru.nl/publish/pages/578936/m_morbitzer_masterthesis.pdf

For the normal reader, a much shorter article covering only the TCP Idle Scan in IPv6 and the most important details can be found here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256846709_TCP_Idle_Scans_in_IPv6/file/9c960523ff1da8b77a.pdf

For the lazy reader, the slides of the presentation which I gave last week and the week before at HitB malaysia and hack.lu can be found here: http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2013kul/materials/D1T2%20-%20Mathias%20Morbitzer%20-%20TCP%20Idle%20Scans%20in%20IPv6.pdf

Additionally, I am really happy and proud to announce that since yesterday, Nmap also supports the TCP Idle Scan in IPv6. You can get the latest version of Nmap from the svn with "svn co https://svn.nmap.org/nmap". I was not able to test the scan on the Internet yet, since so far I did not have access to an IPv6 uplink.
Known issues: If you state your own host as idle host, the program will die at a certain point reporting a malformed packet. I will try to fix this as soon as I have time.

I'm looking forward to any kind of feedback regarding the technique itself or the Nmap implementation!

Cheers,
Mathias