[ipv6hackers] IPv6 Addressing Plan Hints?

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Tue Jan 7 23:09:14 CET 2014

Hi Enno,

>> I typically direct people to the surfnet/RIPE document:
>> http://www.ripe.net/training/material/IPv6-for-LIRs-Training-Course/IPv6_addr_plan4.pdf
>
> I strongly contest here.
> I've been (and still am) involved in various address plan/design activities for _enterprise_ organizations and I've never found the SURFnet document particularly helpful. From my perspective it's mostly intended for small organizations or academic settings.
> Will write down more specific response soon, just wanted to express a "beware of the SURFnet doc", at least for the purpose I read from the question.

Please do. As the author of that doc I'm really interested what you ran into. I have used the structure described in that doc in an enterprise with 100+ locations and thousands of employees (used a /40 there IIRC), and it fitted nicely. It's definitely not only for small organisations.

Cheers,
Sander