[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security (slides and training)

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Thu Nov 10 03:26:00 CET 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:

> [....]
>>> However, the numbers are simply indicative... i.e., "we're far from
>>> where we'd like to be". That's it.
>>
>> Why quote meaningless statistics?  Is this to suggest IPv6 is not
>> important until it represents a significant share of overall traffic?
>
> The statistics are not meaningless, and I think they are part of a good
> overview of where we are wrt IPv6. e.g., somebody new to the protocol
> may wonder "is this being used today", etc., etc.

Relative traffic levels between IPv4 and IPv6 are meaningless.

Much more useful, for example, to compare IPv6 traffic levels now
to IPv6 traffic levels on June 8, 2011, and to levels before June 8, 2011.

Did you ever see anyone compare traffic levels between IPX,
Appletalk, and NetBIOS? Of course not. Why? Because it wasn't
meaningful.

>> Understanding the path forward should take precedence.
>
> My presentation was about IPv6 security, rather than about "action plan
> for v6".

But wouldn't a more useful approach to talking about IPv6 security be
to talk about the best way to deploy IPv6 as securely as possible and
how to mitigate the remaining issues/additional work that needs to be
done by vendors?

Owen