[ipv6hackers] Implications of IPv6 on network firewalls

Adrian Bool adrian.bool at revolution.net.eu
Fri Nov 25 13:32:41 CET 2011

On Friday, 25 November 2011 at 11:41, Markus Reschke wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > My assertion is that within 10 years, multicast routing in IPv6 will be much
> > more widespread than it is today. My assertion is that there are things coming
> > in IPv6 that will be considered basic functionality that will likely require the
> > use of multicast routing.
> >

> Maybe site-local but not global. 10/12 years ago when traffic was more
> expensive most large IP carriers put a lot of effort in offering multicast
> solutions for streaming video etc. The idea was to bill more for multicast
> traffic than for unicast but less than for 1000 unicast streams. Actually
> a good bargain for content providers. And what happened? Traffic became
> cheaper and cheaper (and still does) and content providers got their own
> ASs and started to peer to cut down traffic costs. IPv4 multicast is
> complex and global multicast routing even more. The old multicast
> solutions caused multicast islands. So a content provider would have to
> contract all major ISPs to multicast to the users. And there would be
> still a lot of users without multicast access.
>
> It would be nice to see IPv6 multicast being more successful but I doubt
> it.

I really don't think multicast will never happen en masse - other than a few important events that people would like to watch live* - people expect their video over the Internet to be 'on demand'.  There is no place for Multicast there.

Kind regards,

Adrian

* e.g. Olympics, boxing & football games.

--

Adrian Bool, Director, Network Revolution Limited

e adrian.bool at revolution.net.eu (mailto:adrian.bool at revolution.net.eu)

w http://revolution.net.eu/

m +44 7525 781 982

Learn and share IPv6 knowledge for free at http://ipv6exchange.net/

Network Revolution Limited, 145-157 St John Street, London, EC1V 4PW, United Kingdom.

Registered in England and Wales, 7607414.