[ipv6hackers] Status on NDP Exhaustion Attacks?

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Sun Oct 2 11:59:43 CEST 2011

NDP exhaustion from remote is a real threat indeed. Even with the 3 seconds time-out, anybody can scan at 50 kpps and honestly (see my affiliation) if routers were not implementing NDP throttling this would be a big mess. Years ago, a worm was aggressively scanning IPv4 address and it killed some routers... The industry has learned this lesson for IPv6 :-)

Firewalls are not really the best place to throttle packets to 'so many' destinations. The best place is to rate-limit NS at the last-hop router (some vendors do it at 100 per second for IPv6 again see my email address :-O).

IDS/IPS will do it too late because the target is the last hop router. SO, the only place where this should be implemented is the last hop router.

BTW, this also applies for IPv4 if the attached networks are wide such as 10.1/16 :-)

Hope this helps

-éric