[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security presentation at Hack.lu 2011

Jim Small jim.small at cdw.com
Tue Sep 27 21:47:30 CEST 2011

> > >Many expect a transition to IPv6 will not occur soon.
> > [JRS>] This is not exactly security related but I have done much research
> > and speaking on this topic.  In fact the largest broadband provider in the
> > US (Comcast) will have *completed* their IPv6 rollout sometime next year.
> >  The 2nd largest cable company (Time Warner) is close behind.  There is
> > similar activity in Europe.  Most of the major cellular carriers are rolling
> > out IPv6 next year.  Those who think that IPv6 is years away and in for a
> > rude awakening shortly.
>
> Indeed.  From sometime at the end of Q2 next year, prepare for AAAAs for
> everything.  See related presentations from APNIC32 (especially Lorenzo's
> lightning talk).
>
> Seeking ISPs who can rise to the challenge of significant, publicly measured
> IPv6 deployment all the way to the user.  Yes, CPEs will also need to be
> ready to take IPv6 across the final gap into the home.  It's going to have
> to be a "whole ecosystem" kind of event.

This is great, World IPv6 day really brought some light to IPv6 in the business world.  I now get a lot more questions from businesses and organizations on IPv6 and frequently see IT staff reading IPv6 books as a result of it.  This can help out with the CPE problem in a circuitous route - when an organization's IT staff gets interested they take this interest home.  They setup an HE tunnel.  Then they call their ISP and ask about IPv6 support and CPE equipment.  They mention it to their neighbors and friends and it puts it on their RADAR and so on...l

--Jim