[ipv6hackers] IPv6 scanning (was Re: Help wanted: Nmap IPv6 OS Detection)

Richard Barnes richard.barnes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 22:38:42 CEST 2011

My guess is that as we see more IPv6 deployment, we'll start to see
some statistical tendencies in IPv6 addresses.  There will be a
certain noise floor driven by things like privacy addresses, but there
will also be some structured things that emerge from things like
EUI-64 addresses and DHCPv6-based addressing plans.  Ultimately, there
will probably be some guided probabilistic scanning that produces
non-useless results.

It would be an interesting study to do to see if there are any
discernible patterns.  Anyone have a bucket of known-live addresses
they want to loan me? :)

--Richard