[ipv6hackers] IPv6 scanning (was Re: Help wanted: Nmap IPv6 OS Detection)

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Wed Sep 28 04:55:16 CEST 2011

On 09/27/2011 10:39 PM, Joe Klein wrote:
> So what is the ROI for adding heuristics/intelligence to any
> reconnaissance, be it IPv4 or IPv6? It makes my audit, assessment or
> pen test faster!

Exactly. -- but the point is that for IPv4, doing a sequential/easy/dumb
(whatever you want to call it) scan is "good enough", while for IPv6,
it's not (and it usually makes the scanning 'attack' unfeasible).

> I respectfully disagree; current IPv6 scanning from an arbitrary
> endpoint is unfeasible.

Are you referring to brute-force scanning? Or to any sort of scanning?

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks