[ipv6hackers] Status on NDP Exhaustion Attacks?

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Wed Sep 28 23:39:34 CEST 2011

On 09/28/2011 02:16 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Sure it does, it just means you have to get your gratuitous NA in ahead of the
>>> real one.
>>
>> How is this different from a normal NA-spoofing attack in which the
>> target does not honour gratuitous NAs?
>
> It's all about window of opportunity.
>
> If it honors gratuitous NA, you can send your NA attack any time before it has
> a proper NA from the real host, If it does not, then, you have to get in between
> the NS and the real NA, which is a much smaller window.

Since NS messages are typically sent from time to time for the purpose
of NUD, it's always possible to perform this sort of attack.

That said, you don't need to permanently enable the aforementioned
behavior. i.e., you could enable it only when the number of entries in
the NC reaches some threshold. *And* it would take effect only for *new*
NC entries.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont