[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security presentation at Hack.lu 2011

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Thu Sep 29 23:29:25 CEST 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Enno Rey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 01:57:46PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> The difference is that in IPv4, most (security conscious) people turn off
>> the ability to pay attention to redirects.
>>
>> In IPv6, you cannot (unless you want to deal with static routes or a routing
>> protocol on EVERY host) ignore RA.
>
> how would running a RP prevent dealing with RAs?

You can turn on, for example, OSPF for host to learn its gateway and then, it
can ignore RAs.

If you ignore RAs without an RP, then, you have no routing other than static.

> not going through the RFCs right now I'm pretty sure that an end node initially _has_ to go through an NDP (RA, potentially RS before) based communication act before anything else (even it ran an RP).

Nopeā€¦ The node can use a statically assigned address.

> thanks,
>
> Enno
>
> and, btw, how do you turn off processing ICMP redirects on, say, a common recent Windows OS?
> [not that I regard ICMP redirects as a relevant problem at all, just asking for real interest]

I believe it's a registry tweak and might be controllable by security policy. I'm not
sure. I'm not a windows expert. Just because I know what is commonly done does
not mean that I necessarily know how to do it on all (especially the most insecure)
platforms.

Owen