[ipv6hackers] IPv6 host scanning in IPv6

Christiaan Ottow chris at 6core.net
Fri Apr 20 13:01:14 CEST 2012

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the draft!

Two comments:

Section 1 says "ssentially" where I think you mean "essentially".

Section 3.1.2 of the draft states:

It is important to note that "privacy addresses" are generated in
   addition to traditional SLAAC addresses (i.e., based on IEEE
   identifiers): traditional SLAAC addresses are employed for incoming
   (i.e. server-like) communications, while "privacy addresses" are
   employed for outgoing (i.e., client-like) communications.  This means
   that implementation/use of "privacy addresses" does not prevent an
   attacker from leveraging the predictability of traditional SLAAC
   addresses, since "privacy addresses" are generated in addition to
   (rather than in replacement of) the traditional SLAAC addresses
   derived from e.g.  IEEE identifiers.

According to my best knowledge, this isn't completely true. I haven't tested this myself, but it seems that OpenBSD (in the -current and the upcoming 5.1) drops the EUI-64 address when a privacy address has been generated, thus having only the privacy address as global scope address. That changes the "discoverability" of those hosts significantly: if the randomization is done properly and the address isnt' stored in DNS, the host would be practically undetectable without extra information. Of course, one would expect that an OpenBSD box is used as a server of some kind, and that would make the abovementioned configuration rare.

-- chris