[ipv6hackers] Help with business case for RDNSS

Julius Kriukas julius.kriukas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 08:10:31 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Owen DeLong <owend at he.net> wrote:
> What I haven't experimented with is whether RDNSS will work if I put it out from  a lower-priority router. If that works, I can work around lack of support in the router by having the linux box to the RDNSS RAs at priority LOW. The real routers are all priority HIGH and if they all croak, blackholing traffic to the linux box isn't the worst outcome.

If you want to provide some RA options without being default gateway
you can set Router Lifetime field to 0.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861#section-6.2.3
   "A router might want to send Router Advertisements without advertising
   itself as a default router.  For instance, a router might advertise
   prefixes for stateless address autoconfiguration while not wishing to
   forward packets.  Such a router sets the Router Lifetime field in
   outgoing advertisements to zero."

It works with rdnssd tool http://rdnssd.linkfanel.net/