[ipv6hackers] "Stick to limited IPv6 deployments, businesses warned"

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Tue Aug 28 16:15:48 CEST 2012

Dennis and others,

[Sorry for such a late reply]

With my Cisco hat, I would like to add that 15.0(2)SE does bring RA-guard to Cat 3560 since 10 days or so. Late, very late but at least it is there. Other Cisco switches should follow in the coming months. The caveat is that some old switches do not have the hardware required to do it... So, an forklift upgrade will be required. And, I share your pain about Nx7K (and you could find others)

Without my Cisco hat...

IETF has now several 'SAVI' (source address validation improvement) RFC/I-D and we can expect that all vendors will implement those RFC. BTW, I still see a lot of networks running IPv4 without any security at the layer-2: no DHCP snooping, no dynamic ARP inspection, ... And do not get me started on the security of most of the WiFi hotspot...

I have hope that the IETF will adopt Fernando's I-D of making illegal all fragmented packets where the layer-4 header is not in first fragment. Then stateless devices (switches & routers) will be allowed to drop 'undetermined-transport' packets.

Also, IPv6 is here on the Internet, will be here on the intranet (actually is ALREADY there as we all know). Just do education, make a conscious decision about IPv6 in the intranet (good to deploy to get visibility and control IMHO).

Regards

-éric