[ipv6hackers] Pros and Cons of Address Randomization

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 2 20:39:14 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

For network management, I think it'd be better just to use ULAs, as they're not accessible from the Internet. Once you do that, you can then use ::1, ::2, ::3 etc. on loopbacks without anywhere near as much risk.

More generally, I think one of the issues that makes these sorts of discussions more complex is the default assumption of global reachability of the nodes with the randomised or non-randomised addresses, and perhaps an assumption that the nodes will only have one address. As IPv6 fully supports multiple concurrent addresses, one option is to use randomised addresses for addresses where they're more valuable (i.e. globals), and non-random where they're less valuable or would create additional complexity (i.e. ULAs).

Perhaps there needs to be an "R" bit added to the RA PIO option that indicates that IIDs that are used within the specified prefix are to be randomised. This would be independent of the A bit, and would be used by what ever address configuration mechanism used to configure addresses within the prefix (e.g. currently SLAAC, possibly others in the future). That would make it possible to have randomised GUAs and non-randomised ULA addresses within a subnet.