[ipv6hackers] Pros and Cons of Address Randomization

Joe Klein jsklein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 20:38:10 CET 2012

Jim,

As you might remember, my presentation at gogonet6 live was about
resilience, and the use of IPv6 Address Randomization to improve
survivability. The reason I present it, was to get feedback on a IEEE
paper I am writing. At present I am validating others work, and
setting up a network to perform the testing. I still have a bunch of
research into best techniques and strategies before I had planned on
publishing.

When reviewing your notes, I noticed you are missing the big question,
"What threat are you attempting to mitigate?" As such, I only see this
technique used on all high and some moderate confidentially,
integrity, available or non-repudiation environment, as a method of
early identification of attackers during the ISR phase of the attack.

Note, the reason I have not published any work on it, was there are a
few companies (some represented on this list) which have been 'kind
enough', to create products under their name.

This paper and research are not funded by any company or university,
although I do with it were.

Joe Klein