[ipv6hackers] Revised IETF I-D: Advice on RA-Guard Implementation

Jim Small jim.small at cdw.com
Sat Jan 7 02:54:36 CET 2012

Fernando,

I don't feel qualified to post to the v6Ops list, but I will post something here:

For section 3:
I like the idea of being able to limit the number of extension headers.

For the second bullet, the minimum MTU for IPv6 is 1280 - is there a legitimate reason that the extension headers would ever need to exceed this length?  Even with fragmentation, is there really a need for any extension headers not to be in the first fragment?  If not is there more of an algorithmic way to state this - follow this formula to determine if all EH's aren't in the first fragment?  To have the equivalent of DHCP snooping in IPv6 my thought is there would need to be a formulaic approach which could be programmed into an ASIC.

I applaud your effort to propose a solution to the IETF/v6Ops to update the standards instead of just pointing out how they're broken.

--Jim