[ipv6hackers] DAD and Link-Local

Ahmad Sadeh ahmad.sadeh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:35:46 CEST 2012

The probability that two nodes will generate the same IID is very low.
Actually, it depends on the number of interfaces on the same link.  For
large subnet with one hundred thousand interfaces the probability is less
than 1.7e-8.  I would say it may reasonable to disable DAD as a heuristic
solution to avoid the malicious reply to DAD message.

You can see the draft that estimated the probability of having an address
duplication in a link
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-soto-mobileip-random-iids-00

Ahmad Alsadeh