[ipv6hackers] DAD and Link-Local

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Sat Jul 14 13:57:27 CEST 2012

On 07/14/2012 09:29 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I believe you are correct, but, it is not the first RFC to be commonly broken.

Just to add to this discussion:

IIRC, some implementations kind of disable IPv6 configuration if DAD
fails for *link-local*, but then ignore DAD if DAD fails for
non-link-local addresses.

My personal take is that DAD should be performed for all addresses (no
matter how they are configured) -- duplicate detection once the address
has already been configured could be (safely(?)) ignored.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks