[ipv6hackers] IPv6 prefix changing

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Wed Mar 7 18:52:05 CET 2012

It's not clear and I suspect will depend on the ISP.

As SPZ noted, it appears some providers will use this as an excuse to extort additional funds from those wanting a static address. Of course you can always just get an HE Tunnel and get a static /48 if your provider is determined to be problematic.

However, as much as we love people using our free tunnel service, we'd rather that ISPs did the right thing and such workarounds were unnecessary.

I will say that many of our current tunnelbroker users are in Germany. At this time, all of our IPv6 assignments are static. Short of force of law, I don't anticipate that changing.

Owen