[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Mon Mar 12 08:28:57 CET 2012

The fixed identifier for [2] is present regardless of the nature of the prefix
assigned to the end user. The upstream connection address is likely at least
persistent if not static over long enough intervals to be a traceable
identifier that the end user cannot influence.

Rotating the customer prefix can only create an illusion of increased privacy
while not providing any actual increase in privacy. Allowing the user to choose
to provide such an illusion or not is, I suppose, a form of self-determination,
but, I'm not sure I understand the value.

Owen