[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Alex List alex.list.gm at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:06:04 CET 2012

Hi,

> Not exactly, but yes. IPv6 privacy extensions alone would be sufficient to
> make IP based tracking a lot harder and too inaccurate for the marketing
> company.

Due to the /64 bits left I don't agree, but from the discussion so far
I understand that:

- there is indeed no point in using dynamic prefixes for privacy if
they were deterministic
- random prefix assignments scary many people

But wait, aren't ULA prefixes random? If CGNs were here to stay[1],
why couldn't they provide a "network layer privacy" [2] service? If
they claim to be so good at NATPT44, NPTv6 should be a piece of cake.

Alex

Refs:
[1] "shared address space... a reality!",
http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2012-March/thread.html#46691
[2] @Tim: thanks for this term.