[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Alex List alex.list.gm at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:47:30 CET 2012

Hello Owen,

first of all, thank you for your participation in this discussion, I
really appreciate it.

> ULA prefixes can't talk to the global internet.

I know, that's the reason why I've mentioned NPTv6 [1]

> Perhaps you should become familiar with the basics of how routing
> actually works before pursuing this further...

Your advice surprised me, but I know it's difficult to estimate how
much a newcomer understand. Well, I myself have difficulties in
figuring out whether I really understand specific topics, thus I'm
very thankful when people tell me when I don't. I made the analogy of
calling my boss in order to illustrate what I want to achieve in terms
of information hiding. I was not thinking about the underlying
switching technology. In fact, in circuit switching I would not have
needed to use the metaphor of calling my colleague, as it's also
possible to disable the caller id [2]. I have no doubt that such level
of information hiding is much harder to achieve in packet switching
networks, especially when we consider the myriad of tracking
techniques available at the application layer. That is the reason why
I have named this thread "Dynamic prefixes and privacy". You may of
course argue that it does not make sense to focus at the network
layer, but that would be another discussion.

> IPv6 privacy extensions prevent one from using someone's MAC
> address to track their mobility across different network segments.
> They do nothing to anonymize your prefix.

Yes, that's clear to me [3].

> Dynamic prefixes aren't exactly deterministic, but, they are what I would
> call long-lived. In most cases to be useful in the routing system, they
> need to be sufficiently long-lived that they can't really offer much in
> the way of anonymitiy.

Interesting point. In your opinion, in the case of DSL residential
customers, what would be the minimum prefix lease time in order to be
useful for the routing system?

> As to your question of "if CGNs are here to stay", well, hopefully they
> are very much not here to stay. CGNs are a really bad hack.  A worse
> hack even than existing IPv4 NAT. They severely limit the utility of
> the internet and the applications and innovations that can be
> accomplished while they are in place. Hopefully they will be very
> temporary in nature and will only apply to IPv4.

Actually that was not a question, but rather a premise for the
subsequent statement. If I need a CGN in my infrastructure, and for
whatever reason a customer wants me to do NPTv6 on his behalf, I'd
like to understand whether it would make sense to use the CGN for
that.

> One of the biggest benefits of IPv6 is eliminating NAT. Adding it back
> in is so antithetical to goodness I can only stare at your last sentence
> in dismay and shake my head in disgust.

Sorry, I didn't expect that my last sentence would raise such
feelings. I'll try to be more careful with the language when dealing
with controversial topics next time.

Regards, Alex

Refs:
[1] "NPTv6: The Simplest Case", http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6296#section-2.1
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID#Disabling
[3] "Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in
IPv6", http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4941