[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Markus Reschke madires at theca-tabellaria.de
Wed Mar 21 15:21:47 CET 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Alex List wrote:

Hi!

>> Bottom line, most providers strive to minimize these disruptions because
>> most customers don't like them. I don't know of too many people who
>> care enough about hiding from the marketing spooks to make them
>> worth the performance/stability penalty that they carry. I know that I
>> have had the same IP lease from Comcast, for example, in IPv4 for
>> almost 2 years at this point.
>
> I don't know in other countries, but I think there's a market for that
> in Germany[5]. Btw, I'm expecting here a very extensive media coverage
> of the World IPv6 Launch Day[6].

The latest news from AS3320 regarding IPv6 prefixes:
They'll offer two privacy enhancements. A change-my-prefix-button at
the customer self-service homepage. And the other one is a prefix
randomizer built into their DSL routers. The router will choose a /64 out
of the assigned /56 and change the prefix from time to time.

IMHO those enhancements won't help anything, because we know the /56 as
soon as we see one of its /64s. The change-my-prefix-button is just a
manual version of dynamic prefixes. Without PE there's enough data
to track users by IPv6 addresses easily!

Regards,
  Markus
--
/ Markus Reschke \ / madires at theca-tabellaria.de \ / FidoNet 2:244/1661 \