[ipv6hackers] Autoassign IPv6 address to the interface SENDIN OUT the RA?

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Wed Mar 28 21:47:16 CEST 2012

In general, the system generating the RAs will not autoconfigure its own addresses because the address autoconf process takes place before radvd starts and it creates a chicken-egg like circular dependency.

There's not going to be anything in radvd documentation because radvd only does the advertisement portion of the transaction and has nothing to do with local interface configuration.

The entry required in /etc/network/interfaces would be similar to:

iface eth0 ipv6 auto

(I don't have the exact details in front of me at the moment, so syntax may be different).

However, since autoconf will have failed before radvd starts, this may be less than useful.

radvd should only need to bind to link local, so if you can get it to start and then re-attempt stateless autoconf, that should make what you want possible, but, I still don't recommend it.

Owen

Sent from my iPad