[ipv6hackers] Win7 - no managed flag, DHCP address released?!

Jeff Carrell jeff.carrell at networkconversions.com
Thu Nov 8 15:56:35 CET 2012

Karl, I confirm. In fact, that is part of what my presentation was about
and what I demonstrated at the conf there last month :-)

I have seen this occur on the Win7 clients with these router platforms:
HP ProVision, HP Comware (old 3Com), Cisco, Vyatta, and plain radvd on
Ubuntu. And generally I have a mix of routers running in the labs/demos.

The Win7 client had seen a RA with M on and sent a DHCPv6 Solicit and
received their IPv6 DHCPv6 assigned address. Then when the client
receives a subsequent RA with M off, the Win7 clients send a DHCPv6
release and drops their previous DHCPv6 address...and do not wait for
the timers that had been associated with that address to expire.

I don't remember how the Mac with 10.7.x reacted, but looking through a
couple of trace files from my tests, it does not appear that it acts the
same...it looks like it adheres to the timers accordingly. However, I
would like to test it all again in my lab to see.

In fact, I'd like to do it again for Win7, Win8, Mac 10.7.x, Linux (I
have a client somewhere with the DHCPv6 client appl on it), and get a
more conclusive trace file on this all. However, it will be a week or so
before I'll be able to do this.

Cheers...Jeff