[ipv6hackers] "Stick to limited IPv6 deployments, businesses warned"

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sat Sep 8 19:49:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 05:01:26AM +0000, Jim Small wrote:
> SLAAC is a done deal.  The question is, will network and OS vendors
> extend their SLAAC implementations to support RDNSS.  From what I can
> see, it seems like the answer is no.  RDNSS is cool, it's nice for labs
> and other setup types, and it's a published standard.  However, it's
> pretty much worthless if routers and mainstream O/S (e.g. Microsoft/Apple)
> don't support it.

JFTR, iOS (Apple) supports RDNSS since iOS 4.<something>, so quite a while.

But besides that, you're right - Cisco is not implementing it "because
we have DHCPv6 and all the clients do (stateless) DHCPv6 as well", and
it's hard to find reasonable counterarguments.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279