[ipv6hackers] Neighbor advertisement router flag

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Mon Apr 15 11:23:58 CEST 2013

Hi, Marc,

This one is described in Section 3.4 of
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-nd-security-01>:

---- cut here ----
   The R flag is the Router flag, and is used by Neighbor Unreachability
   Detection (NUD).  When set, it indicates that the sender is a router.
   An attacker could forge a Neighbor Advertisement message with the
   Router flag cleared to cause the receiving node to remove the
   impersonated Router from the Default router list.
---- cut here ----

and more thoroughly in Section 3.6 of
<http://www.si6networks.com/tools/ipv6toolkit/si6networks-ipv6-nd-assessment.pdf>:

---- cut here ----
3.6. DoS attack by removing a router from the routing table by means of
Neighbor Advertisement messages

Description

This attack at removing a router from the routing table of the attacked
system by means of Neighbor Advertisement messages. Basically, an
attacker responds to Neighbor Solicitations that have a Target Address
equal to the IPv6 address of the victim router with a Neighbor
Advertisement that contains the “Router” flag set to zero. This fools
the receiving system into believing that the victim router has ceased to
operate as a router.

Exploitation

# ./na6 –i attacker_nic -s victim_ip -Z victim_ip –e -L

Notes

A possible mitigation for this attack could be for hosts to not remove
the router if a Neighbor Advertisement is received from a “router”
without the “Router” flag set. In the event the flag was legitimately
indicating that the sender of the Neighbor Advertisement has ceased to
act as a router, loss indication from the upper-layer protocols could
instruct the internet-layer to remove such router from the list of
default routers.
---- cut here ----

Cheers,
Fernando