[ipv6hackers] Is there a telecom company which adpated IPv6 network on LTE?

Marco Ermini marco.ermini at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 12:48:56 CEST 2013

On 15 August 2013 21:28, Owen DeLong wrote:

> > PS. NAT was not born to provide security, but it provides _some sort_ of
> > security, and moreover it allows easier full logging of the traffic...
>
> NAT does not provide any form of security and it makes full logging of
> traffic
> more difficult.

Well, of course hiding the source network and ports *is* a security
measure. It is not of course *the* security measure, you cannot rely on
that against attacks, and it is not originated from security requirements,
but in the context of a defence in depth approach, NAT has its place.

I find it very difficult to disprove that, but you are welcome to try :-)

As I mentioned already, I have yet to find a security officer (except the
ones that rely mostly on pre-canned security assumptions such as "in my
GIAC training book at page 15 it's written NAT is not a security measure")
that doesn't like NAT.

About logging, I have yet to see carrier grade of GI firewalls that logs
*every* connection coming in an out, but I see every day firewalls that log
every NAT translation. However I understand that this may depend on the
technology and the personal experience.

I try to avoid making blanked statements based only on my own experience,
generally, therefore I feel less certain about the logging part of the
discussion - I concede that.

> Stateful inspection provides security. To the extent that NAT requires
> stateful
> inspection, you get Stateful inspection (and it's related security) for
> free by
> implementing NAT.

Going again out of the commonplace, stateful inspection does not
necessarily provide any more security that NAT. The answer is, as usual,
"it depends". "Inspecting" a packet does not mean in itself you are
actually *doing* anything with that - are you logging or verifying or even
denying packets that do not match connection tables? have you enabled
source spoofing on your firewall? protocol checks? In my experience often
these policies are disabled or just logged - for lots of reasons we may
want to discuss off line, as I feel they are off topic here - and often NAT
is instead more effective, as at least connection table checking is
*necessary* within NAT - it wouldn't work otherwise, plain and simple.

Therefore I would go so far to say that if you are "only" inspecting
without any policy, then NAT is actually more helpful that stateful checks
- at least it is doing something: verifying connection tables and hiding a
source network.

> However, if your NAT is a stateless 1:1 mapping, then you get no security,
> so
> clearly NAT is not the part that provides the security.

If it is 1:1 mapping, it is still hiding the source network. Again, it will
not refrain determined hackers to undercover my infrastructure but
certainly will make them lose more time.

I would like to remember that we are anyway talking about a specific case,
that is, customers' ISP networks in a mobile environment. We were not
making a generic point on NAT. In this scenario, NAT is indeed a mechanism
which in itself can protect customers' from overbilling or battery draining
attacks, therefore it is a cheap-and-dirty, security-by-obscurity method,
but it is effective enough in most cases. I am sure if you want to get
perfect protection you'll need something more that that, but in everyday's
life you have to make tough budget decisions.

> As to logging of the traffic, again, NAT requires a single choke-point to
> work.
> It is the single chokepoint that provides the easy logging of all traffic,
> not the
> NAT itself.

I see you are "conceding" me the point that an architecture that includes
NAT makes logging easy.

I am satisfied with that :-)

Kind regards
--
Marco Ermini
root at human # mount -t life -o ro /dev/dna /genetic/research