[ipv6hackers] Dual stack on DOCSIS infrastructure

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Aug 27 07:28:52 CEST 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Tor Houghton wrote:

> Have any of you had any experience with running dual stack on the
> infrastructure required for DOCSIS (from a security standpoint)?
>
> I've a feeling there is a minefield of caveats related to DOCSIS and IPv6
> "support", especially when using version 2.0 and 3.0 simultaneously as well
> as the mix of components in play.

I have done a proof of concept on DOCSIS3, took a few hours to get
infrastructure such as DHCPv6-PD delegation in the ISC dhcpd working
properly together with everything, but it wasn't very hard.

This was of course in the lab, just to see if we could get basic packet
flowing with the gear at hand. DOCSIS3 has quite good IPv6 features in the
specs and it your gear complies with the spec, it should work.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se