[ipv6hackers] Help wanted: Testing tunnel support (RAW_IP) in the SI6 toolkit

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Sat Feb 2 16:05:57 CET 2013

Folks,

I've been committing some time to work on the SI6 IPv6 toolkit
(<http://www.si6networks.com/tools/ipv6toolkit>).

Among the features I had in my TODO list was support for IPv6 tunnels,
such that you can play with the tools if your v6 connectivity is
provided by e.g. gogoc or the like.

I've incorporated such support to two of the tools (frag6 and tcp6)..
and if everything goes okay, I will incorporate the same support in
the rest of the tools. The two updated tools (frag6 and tcp6) are
available at:
<http://www.si6networks.com/tools/ipv6toolkit/ipv6-toolkit-tun-tools.tar.gz>

I'd appreciate if some folks could help with testing these tools.
So far, I've done some basic testing of tcp6 (e.g., performing
IPv6-based TCP SYN-floods), and everything seems to work fine.

But since I'm mostly off-line this week (and only intermittently
connected to the Internet with a pretty bad connection), I wasn't able
to test the updated tools thoroughly.

If you want to help, you can test the updated tools with the examples
included in the relevant manuals (see [1] and [2] below). For
example, you can test these two features of frag6:

1) Frag ID generation policy

# sudo ./frag6 -i INTERFACE --frag-id-policy -d DESTINATION -v

(caveat: For some of the tests, frag6 needs to spoof the source
address...So if your tunnel provider enforces ingress/egress
filtering, such proves could be lost. You might want to try to
circumvent this by specifying a prefix with "-s PREFIX/LEN" (e.g., the
one where your tunnel endpoint v6 address belongs to).

2) Assess the Frag reassembly policy

# frag6 -i INTERFACE --frag-reass-policy -d DESTINATION -v

[1] frag6 manual:
<http://www.si6networks.com/tools/ipv6toolkit/frag6-manual.pdf>
[2] tcp6 manual:
<http://www.si6networks.com/tools/ipv6toolkit/tcp6-manual.pdf>

As noted above, the updated tools are available at:
<http://www.si6networks.com/tools/ipv6toolkit/ipv6-toolkit-tun-tools.tar.gz>

If you have any questions, please do hesitate to ask them.

Thanks!

Best regards,
- --
Fernando Gont