[ipv6hackers] ip6tables and fragmentation

SamLT samuel.lethiec at intelunix.fr
Mon Feb 4 01:34:14 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 10:57:44PM +0100, Guillermo Lafuente Tejero wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> many thanks for your reply.
>

> > If you're doing stateless firewalling, you need to include rules that
> > pass non-first fragments. Then security relies on:
> >
> > * The firewall's ability to properly filter first-fragments (i.e.,
> > fragments with a Fragmet Offset of 0), *and*,
> > * Whether the hosts "protected" by the firewall implement RFC 5722
> >

> > If you don't want/like this, you should do stateful filtering.
> >

> I'm using stateful filtering already. So for example, in the case of ICMPv6 echo request / reply I have the following rules:
>
> -A INPUT -p ipv6-icmp -m icmp6 --icmpv6-type 128 -m limit --limit 15/sec -j ACCEPT
> -A INPUT -p ipv6-icmp -m icmp6 --icmpv6-type 129 -m limit --limit 15/sec -j ACCEPT
>
> I have later on another rule to make the firewall stateful:
>
> -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

2 minor things:
   -> any reason(there could be!) not have this rule as the first
   one(at least before the two other ones above)?

   -> it's totally ok if you're still using the state module, but it has
   been obsoleted with the far more powerfull conntrack one, to start
   using it, you can replace this rule with:

   -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT