[ipv6hackers] Scanning for IPv6 addresses embedding TCP/UDP service ports

S.P.Zeidler spz at serpens.de
Fri Feb 22 13:35:46 CET 2013

Hi,

Thus wrote Fernando Gont (fgont at si6networks.com):

> Yeah.. Additionally, this scheme will most likely be used for servers,
> with the address indicating the "main" service provided by such server.

Not necessarily.

Consider:
mail.netbsd.org has IPv6 address 2001:4f8:3:7::25
ns.netbsd.org has IPv6 address 2001:4f8:3:7::53

mail.netbsd.org and ns.netbsd.org are on the same machine at present.

I got seriously fed up with having to re-delegate domains because
(silliest case) an ethernet interface needed to be replaced, so
I picked manually set service addresses. The service only uses its
special address, but the server has a "chassis address" additionally
too, so I could migrate one service from one server to the next without
needing to touch other services (or the zone).

regards,
	spz
--
spz at serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)