[ipv6hackers] Scanning for IPv6 addresses embedding TCP/UDP service ports

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Feb 26 18:18:16 CET 2013

FG> Have you found the latter in the wild? i.e. do people actually convert
FG> say (port) 80 to 0x50 , and embed *that* into the IPv6 address?

I have seen NSs with ::35 and MXs with ::19.  I cannot remember any others,
but may have.

There was a discussion someplace (nanog?) about it a few months (years?)
ago, including some jovial chiding directed at those of us who tend to
use the decimal port notation in the v6 addresses.

I've been tempted to use both (they're cheap; take a few), just for fun.

But I wouldn't have written "and others [embed] the hex notation" if I
hadn't witnessed it.

-JimC