[ipv6hackers] The state of IPv6 (pen)testing and the future

Merike Kaeo merike at doubleshotsecurity.com
Thu Jan 24 06:01:27 CET 2013

On Jan 23, 2013, at 4:13 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:

> On 01/23/2013 06:35 PM, Joe Klein wrote:
>>
>> I was doing IPv6 penetration testing classes with labs, between
>> 2006-2010, leveraging both public tools and those in my private
>> unreleased libraries. At that time I had over 150 tools that work
>> well, but it seems the vast majority of the tools have been removed
>> from the Internet.
>
> Why not putting them (back?) on-line?
>
> The fact that there are only to publicly available toolkits (Marc's and
> mine.. with Marc's being the only one for ages) probably speaks how far
> we're from where we're supposed to be in terms of IPv6 security.

I think the main concern is not how many tools we have but do the existing tools cover all the
cases that are 'known' that should be tested for a comprehensive pen-test.  Also, can the tool(s) be extensible
to add more tests as new scenarios come up (which they will).

Joe had helped put the IPv6 toolkit list together in the document I referenced in an earlier post.....it would
be useful to have an updated list.  While Joe says the majority of tools he'd used (some of which were his) have been
removed from the Internet I expect some may still exist.  *someone* needs to do the research :)   Which is what
Marc's post was all about.....so a good start to kick-start folks to help find info.

I saw Metasploit had a freeware version and am mildly curious what (if any) IPv6 scenarios it covers.  If you do a
search on their website on IPv6 they list some info although it's somewhat tedious to sift thru. Downloading and
using tool is best way to find out.  I don't have cycles for that right now.

I'll put this on my list of things to explore......I don't have as much free time as I used to but this interests me.

- merike