[ipv6hackers] Best Network Tap - for home

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 12 12:52:32 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

Why not? I already proved that Auto MDI/MDI-X is optional by quoting the IEEE spec, and I've already made a GigE X-over that worked with autoneg enabled on both GigE interfaces (which also worked as a 10/100 x-over).

3 GigE's connected would be an issue with autoneg in Sander's scenario, but no more than 100BASE-T would be. If you switched off Autoneg on the GigE attached to the passive port of Sander's device, it'll use it's own clock and would probably receive packets.

Has anybody here tried what I'm suggesting, or is there no actual evidence that it won't work, just speculation. I'm speculating it might, given that it appears to work for 100BASE-T.

I don't 100% accept things that I've been told, too many times it ends up being not completely true, or dependent on a context that has been forgotten or not passed on.

(Quick test, on a Cisco, what admin distance would you assign an absolute last resort static route?)