[ipv6hackers] Best Network Tap - for home

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 12 15:02:36 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

Given that I'm the one in this discussion that has quoted the IEEE spec., what makes you think I don't know that?

Given that Auto MDI/MDI-X is optional for GigE, and there is an official x-over wiring for GigE, isn't is reasonable to speculate that the techniques for passively tapping 100BASE-T may also be applicable to 1000BASE-T? I'm not making any guarantees, because I haven't tested it myself. However, I won't just be be "told", because, quite frankly, enough things I have been "told" that were supposedly absolute over the years that I've relied on have ended up not quite true.

People should learn to be less absolute about what they think they know. Humans and their memory, and communications, (unfortunately) aren't binary. Always have an element of doubt.