[ipv6hackers] MT6D

Will Urbanski will.urbanski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 02:32:39 CET 2013

Hey Jim, I am a co-author w/ Stephen and Matt on MT6D. At this time there
are no implementations that are shipping as Stephen is still doing his
graduate studies w/ a focus on MT6D implementations. Most of the details
are fleshed out in our IEEE Security & Privacy article that was published
last year. You can find that article here (warning: paywall):
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6148205&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6148205

You're absolutely correct that the key distribution problem is not solved
with this approach. If you have any specific questions about MT6D i'll be
happy to try and answer them.

Cheers!

Will

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Jim Small <jim.small at cdw.com> wrote:

> Here is a nice write up of MT6D on the ISC Blog:
>
> https://isc.sans.edu/diary/IPv6+Focus+Month+Guest+Diary+Stephen+Groat+-+IPv6+moving+target+defense/15484
>
> This is from Virginia Tech:
>
> http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2011/05/051111-research-itsecurityproduct.html
>
> Not sure if there are any shipping implementations.  Of course the classic
> problem of encryption or a shared secret remains - key distribution.  But
> for a small number of nodes this sounds interesting.  Curious what you
> think about this approach, especially since it's a new type of defense
> which depends on IPv6.
>
> --Jim

Will Urbanski
(540) 521-5646