[ipv6hackers] an interesting DHCPv6 DoS

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 4 11:50:38 CET 2014

>________________________________

Not to dismiss the possibility of a DoS via this method, however that CPE is behaving really badly. It should be using the same DUID for each request, as required in RFC6204/RFC7084,

  W-5:  The IPv6 CE router MUST use a persistent DHCP Unique Identifier
         (DUID) for DHCPv6 messages.  The DUID MUST NOT change between
         network-interface resets or IPv6 CE router reboots.

and the DHCPv6 RFC, RFC3315,

"The DUID is
   designed to be unique across all DHCP clients and servers, and stable
   for any specific client or server - that is, the DUID used by a
   client or server SHOULD NOT change over time if at all possible; for
   example, a device's DUID should not change as a result of a change in
   the device's network hardware."

Trusting any attribute the DHCPv6 client supplies as an identifier would be vulnerable to this sort of problem, unless DHCPv6 authentication is used, or some other network attribute such as circuit ID rather than any CPE supplied attribute is used to uniquely identify the client.

One other question though, it also shouldn't be asking for a IA-NA unless you have the M bit (Managed Address bit) switched on in RAs. If you do have it switched on, it would be interesting whether switching it off (just leaving the O bit switched on) would stop the CPE asking for IA-NAs in its DHCPv6 requests.

Regards,
Mark.