[ipv6hackers] Requirements for IPv6 firewalls (new IETF-ID)

Schmoll, Carsten carsten.schmoll at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Feb 19 18:04:52 CET 2014

Dear Fernando, authors of this I-D,

thanks for pushing this (IMO) worthwhile topic forward.

The more we see IPv6 availability for the end user at home, the more important is it that the CPE router/gateway/firewalls, aka "plastic routers", will provide an (at least) on-par-security for IPv6, compared to IPv4.
With such a document, CPE makers can have a valuable checklist in their hands - and go at least for the "conditionally-compliant" feature set.

My gut feeling is that such document should aim "a little higher" than providing parity with IPv4 firewall features. IMO this is especially true for the DoS section (chapter 7), since more attack vectors exist with IPv6 (or so it feels to me).

two small ideas:
* If deemed as useful, the document should clearly state the importance of (the NAT-less yet) stateful PF with IPv6, and maybe some details of it.
* If suitable for this I-D, some words could be added on privacy issues with IPv6 and how an IPv6-FW could help (or not) with that.

Best regards
Carsten