[ipv6hackers] Requirements for IPv6 firewalls (new IETF-ID)

JJC jjc4progress at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 19:07:02 CET 2014

Fernando,

Thanks for your efforts on this (and all your nice IPv6 work).  Here are a
few suggestions/comments/typos:

Rule Additions:
1) Given the idea that, as you know, IPv6 fragments (as standardized) are
very dangerous security-wise and the (admittedly controversial) effort to
deprecate them entirely (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bonica-6man-frag-deprecate-02 ), it might
be useful to have a requirement such as:

MUST be able to filter (drop or log) all IPv6 fragments.

Maybe also: SHOULD be able to filter (drop or log) atomic IPv6 fragments,
and too-small IPv6 fragments.

2) Related to the above, it's unclear if REQ SPC-2 also implies ability to
filter other (non-Routing) extension headers.  This ability seems
relatively useful, and a new requirement for it should probably be included.

3) To REQ CON-2, I would add:
8. currently logged in users
9. your last login timestamp and IP
10. last other user login name, timestamp, IP
11. Count of failed login attempts since last user login (for awareness of
brute force attempts).

4) It's not clear if REQ CON-2 lists the minimum items that "MUST" be
included in a dashboard, or merely that the dashboard must include "health
monitoring information," of which the items are just OPTIONAL examples.

5) This may be implied or common sense to firewall vendors, but making them
explicit in the RFC might be useful:

* MUST Maintain counters for each firewall rule, including how many packets
(and optionally, how many bytes) triggered each rule.

* SHOULD (or MUST?) for each rule store and display the timestamp of last
change and the userid of who changed it.

6) An ssh-key-only mode:

SHOULD support an SSH-key-only login mode (analogous to OpenSSH
"PasswordAuthentication No" setting. As this raises security considerably
on the device itself.

7) Ability to apply a separate rule set on the administrative interface of
the device itself. (Again, probably common, but good to codify).

Comment on Section 8:
A Layer-7 firewall, with its DPI and complexity, and the attendant higher
hardware requirements appear, to me, to be a separate class of hardware
than normal Layer 2-4 firewalls.  Thus, does it make sense to include these
requirements (sec. 8) in this document and expect the majority of firewall
vendors to make their basic firewalls "fully-compliant" with this RFC?  It
seems that it might be useful to either make these "SHOULDS" or have a
separate document for application layer firewalls.

Minor typos (in sed/vim style):
* Global: s/e.g. /e.g.,/g
* In Abstract and Introduction: s/, and the reduced/and the reduced/
* In Introduction: s/provide a ser /provide a series/
* In REQ GSOC-6: s/SHOULD possible to have/SHOULD be possible to include/
* In REQ CON-2: s/must/MUST/

Thanks again for your good work on this and other IPv6 security matters!
I'm an avid reader.   I hope some of these are useful comments.

By the way, if it's a possibility, I would love to be a co-author on this
RFC, as it closely relates to my research. :-)

Cheers,
Jake Czyz
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jakeczyz