[ipv6hackers] the end is near (or for IPv6: the beginning)

Wouter van Bommel wouter at vanbommelonline.nl
Fri Jan 24 13:47:23 CET 2014

Hi Marco,

NAT is a terrible broken protocol. As my provider only gives me 1 public ip
address I am forced to use NAT on all my servers. This means that I have to
instruct my colleagues to user alternative ports of they would like to use
one of the non default servers.

This might be doable for tech interested people, but is a burden for c?o
type of people.

NAT also implies that I have to run a split brained dns, as internal ip
addresses for these server will be different then on the outside.

Would be glad if IPV6 is finally a reality, so that these kind of issues
are finally resolved for everybody (and not just the people with lot's of
historical ipv4 addresses)

Regards,

Wouter

P.S. The security of NAT lies in things like state tables. So a proper
configured forwarding firewall can use the same technique hence the same
security. As the default can be 'deny all incoming except related', which
is basically what NAT does.