[ipv6hackers] the end is near (or for IPv6: the beginning)

Schmoll, Carsten carsten.schmoll at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jan 28 12:45:10 CET 2014

Dear Jim, all,

I'd kindly like to challenge the following statement, if only the "many" in it:

> NAT Challenges:
> * Many applications use embedded addresses which is broken by NAT

I'd like to learn which application are these (still).  At a quick glance only the following ones come to my mind:
* active FTP
* SIP?
* XMPP?
* selected proprietary ones
Don't seem to be 'many' so far ...

Further to that, I am curious, which applications are currently limited and harmed by

> * Restricts inbound connections (obviously with many limitations)

or, asked vice versa, which ones would benefit most from direct end-to-end connectivity (where allowed)?

I can think of direct E2E/P2P in the form of audio(SIP/RTP), video, data (think e.g. torrents) transmission, but which one(s) would benefit/grow the most?

Best regards
Carsten

--
"With great power comes great responsibility! What power, you ask?  UNIX root privileges."

Carsten Schmoll
Fraunhofer FOKUS
www.fokus.fraunhofer.de