[ipv6hackers] the end is near (or for IPv6: the beginning)

James Small jim.small at mail.com
Wed Jan 29 20:11:09 CET 2014

>     >> Up to now, whenever I see an IPv6 rollout planned in a NATed IPv4
>     >> environment, this usually means adding IPv6 with a stateful
firewall to
>     >> the existing IPv4 with NAT (which will be kept).
>
>     > Sure, but soon we'll also start seeing greenfield deployments of
IPv6
>     > without IPv4 of any sort.
>
> Doubtful.
>
> Too hard to get IPv6-only allocations from ARIN.
> Not cheaper.  Not easier in paperwork.

What about (USA) T-Mobile's IPv6 only 4G network?  Granted it supports
464XLAT but I suspect we will see more of this as time goes on.  I can also
tell you that within the US, there are several SmartGrid networks which are
IPv6-only.  IPv6 only networks will probably be corner cases for at least
the next few years but it's a good exercise to think through to start
documenting and eliminating IPv4-only dependencies where possible.

--Jim